Wednesday, December 18, 2013

K is potty trained!!

I believe it is safe to say that K is potty trained. I don't put any diapers on him during the day. We go out and run our errands and he tells me when he needs to go to the bathroom...and then waits until we find one. I try and remember to bring an extra pair of pants just in case he could have an accident...but when we leave the house....my first thought is, no he won't even need an extra pair of pants for an accident. I do still put a diaper on him right before bed.

I'm so proud of my little man! I've heard some horror stories about potty training, but I just didn't ever experience any difficulty or frustration with K's potty training. The advice I received for potty training I got from my sister and reading some articles online. And, the one thing that was clear from both of them...is timing. You need to make sure your child is ready to potty train...to not push it upon the child...because if you do the child will become frustrated with the process and then it will become a difficult lesson to learn. I went into potty training with that in my head.....and it was the best advice! I didn't set up a 7 day time line for him, I didn't expect him to be potty trained by a certain age, I just followed him. K showed an interested in wanting to go potty in the potty, and I embraced that interest. I taught him and explained to him the process as he needed to know it. He did tell me if he wanted a diaper....and I did not push that he not wear one. We never used pull ups. We never used the portable potty I bought. All we ever needed that we didn't already have was his Spiderman stool. Every time he went in the potty, I would make a big deal about it. Praise him, show him how proud I was, and give him a small candy of his choice. We even went to the mall, and I let him pick out the candy he would get for his reward.

I know every child is different, and therefore every experience in potty training will be different. I'm so proud of my son, and this milestone he has conquered. I believe potty training could have gone a completely different way, but I think because of him it has been a positive experience. Once again baby boy, thank you for picking me to be your Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment