Tuesday, October 21, 2014

DIY Kitchen table

I found this Kitchen table on craigslist for $75! The original owners didn't have the time to re-stain it, but didn't want to just keep it in storage. They wanted to see it go to good use. I thought it would fit perfectly in our new kitchen!

It originally had a dark walnut stain. It also had water damage in several areas. I started this project by sanding the top surface with 100 grit sandpaper. I only had 100Grit sandpaper that my husband had already purchased, which is why it took me forever to get the top sanded. I should have used 60grit or 80grit, and then the top would have gone a lot faster.

Here is the top completely sanded.

Then I primed the bottom of the table.

Next, I decided to stain the top a light walnut stain. Next time, I will stain the top first and then paint the bottom. I was very VERY very careful trying not to let the stain sprinkle onto the primer...but it did. I waited 24hours after staining it to put three coats of polyurethane on the top.

 I primed the chairs.

I decided on a light grey color for the chairs, and painted the bottom of the table a milky white.

Here it is finished! I decided not to distress it or tint it. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment